Ah yes, August. That month when the weather is just a bit warmer, the days are still a bit longer, and you don’t really feel like doing much (so, naturally, you don’t :)). It’s a month for travelling, hanging out, enjoying friends and family and watching wistfully as the calendar ticks its way inevitably towards the return to school and other responsibilities. In honour of the last kick at the summer can that is the month of August, we have put together here a list of five fun facts about the month of August. We were surprised at how interesting the month actually was and continues to be! Take a peek:
- August got its name in 8 BC from the first Roman Emperor, Augustus, who ruled the Latin roost from 27 BC until he died in AD 14;
- Famous birthdays celebrated in August include Barack Obama, Hulk Hogan, Ben Affleck, Robert DeNiro and Cal Ripken Jr.;
- On August 3, 1492, Christopher Columbus set sail from Spain;
- On August 16, 1977, a date that many will remember, Elivs Presley died at the age of 42;
- This year, on August 4, we’ll be saying “Bottoms up!” in honour of International Beer Day, which happens to fall on the first Friday of the month. How’s that for good timing?
Oh, and by the way, August is also International Peach Month, so enjoy those lovely fruits as much as you can, especially if you’re in Georgia!